In an earlier post, I described how to install MAP Toolkit to do inventory of an IT environment and in this post, I will show how to get started to compare the cost for an on-prem environment to Azure.
To get started install MAP Toolkit and do an inventory as described in this earlier post. When this is done use the export function in MAP Toolkit to export the inventory into an Excel sheet.
Go to the page https://www.tco.microsoft.com, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Calculator (Preview at the time of writing), and click Start Now to use the tool.
Open the MAP Toolkit inventory file and do the following modifications to it.
- Delete the top 3 rows with plain text.
- Remove any non-integer values in cores and RAM (System Memory) column.
- Save and close the file.
Import the file by doing the following in the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Calculator.
- At the Inputs screen, select the Bulk Input radio button and select the MAP radio button.
- Press the Upload File button
- Confirm that the filename is shown on screen indicating that it is ready for upload. Enter the remaining Storage and Networking parameters and press Calculate.
When the calculation has been done, you will have a report that looks something like this.